Last week, internal Republican Party divisions spilled onto the floor of the House of Representatives in a way rarely publicly seen in Washington. In this installment of the FiveThirtyEight Politics podcast, the crew looks at why it took 15 votes to get Rep. Kevin McCarthy elected House Speaker and what that process says about the two years ahead and the GOP more broadly. They also consider how Rep. George Santos’s scandals will affect his tenure in Congress and whether he would have been elected at all if his fabricated biography had received more scrutiny during the campaign.
More in Politics Podcast
- The Model Always Had Its Doubts About The Red Wave Feb 7, 2023
- Americans Are Lonely. That Has Political Consequences. Feb 2, 2023
- There Are Actually Some Big Elections Happening In 2023 Jan 30, 2023
- What Would It Mean If South Carolina Voted First In The Democratic Primary Jan 30, 2023
- Will Tyre Nichols's Murder Finally Make Congress Do Something About Police Reform? Jan 31, 2023
- Do GOP Leaders Want Trump In 2024? Jan 30, 2023
Want the latest politics news? Get it in your inbox.
You are now subscribed!