Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (Feb. 16, 2016), we take a look at parity in men’s college basketball and the lack thereof on the women’s side, we wonder about the state of defense in the NBA All-Star Game and ask whether it’s always been this way, and we discuss whether the Los Angeles Angels should trade star player Mike Trout. Plus, a Significant Digit on Max Hooper, the Oakland University senior guard who shoots only threes.
Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above. Links to what we discussed are here:
- Ben Morris ranks every NBA All-Star.
- Neil Paine and Jonah Keri on how to build a great baseball team.
- Mike Trout wasn’t last season’s MVP, but he might be the G.O.A.T.
- Why baseball farm systems are important.
- Kate Fagan tells the Los Angeles Angels why they should trade Mike Trout if they get a haul in return.
- Significant Digit: 206. That’s the number of 3-point attempts by Oakland guard Max Hooper this year. He hasn’t tried a single 2-pointer.
- Max Hooper shooting bombs.
If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.