Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (Jan. 12, 2016), we look at whether Alabama’s onside kick won the Tide this year’s college football championship. We try to work out who the heck is going to be crowned Super Bowl champion. Plus, we ask whether Alex Ovechkin is the best hockey player of all time. And we give you a Significant Digit on the awesome Lionel Messi as he secures his fifth Ballon d’Or. Also, Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump makes his Hot Takedown debut.
Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above. Links to what we discussed are here:
- Neil Paine on what last weekend’s wild-card games really mean.
- Neil Paine writes about why there is no Super Bowl favorite.
- FiveThirtyEight’s college football coverage.
- Neil Paine reports on the quality of goalkeeping in modern hockey.
- Ben Morris explains why Lionel Messi is impossible.
If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.