Welcome to this week’s episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (for April 7, 2015), we discuss Duke’s win in the NCAA tournament; whether the Padres made themselves a contender through their blockbuster trade with the Braves; how the NHL’s scoring system creates bizarre incentives for teams; and whether a pro women’s soccer team will finally succeed in the U.S.
Stream the episode by clicking play above, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients below.
Links to what we discuss in this week’s show:
- Our look back at Duke’s run to the title.
- How Wisconsin’s offense faltered in the championship game.
- Fangraphs on the Padres trade.
- Noah Davis and Michael Lopez on why NHL teams try not to win.
- How the Houston Dash of the National Women’s Soccer League are failing to meet their ticket sales goals.
If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.