Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast. On this week’s show (Dec. 6, 2016), we discuss whether the College Football Playoff Selection Committee picked the right four teams for the final stage of the season. Next, we’re joined by FiveThirtyEight’s Chris Herring to chat about Russell Westbrook’s epic triple-double streak. Finally, baseball writer Joe Sheehan calls in to help us break down the new collective bargaining agreement in Major League Baseball. Plus, we check our mail and name our favorite new phrase to replace “eye test.”
Links to what we discussed:
- Neil’s take on why the four most deserving college football teams made it into the playoffs.
- You can check out ESPN’s Football Power Index here.
- FiveThirtyEight’s Andrew Flowers wrote on Russell Westbrook’s triple-double dominance back in April.
- Ten things ESPN’s Zach Lowe likes and doesn’t like — including the way Russell Westbrook tries to draw a foul while shooting.
- ESPN’s Jayson Stark wrote on the details of the new baseball CBA.
- FiveThirtyEight’s Rob Arthur looked into upcoming young talent in baseball.
- Read more of Joe Sheehan’s insights by subscribing to his newsletter.