Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast. On this week’s episode (July 3, 2017), we’re bringing you an Independence Day show on the fireworks of free agency in the NBA. Since free agency began on July 1, Chris Paul was traded to Houston, Stephen Curry agreed to the richest deal in NBA history, and it’s been reported that Carmelo Anthony is willing to go to the Rockets or the Cavaliers. FiveThirtyEight’s Kyle Wagner joins us in the studio as we discuss the latest trades and speculate about who’s getting the best deals.
Here are links to what we discussed during the show:
- Check out ESPN for the latest buzz, rumblings and reports on the NBA free agency period.
- Back in January, Neil took a look at how to win with Carmelo Anthony.
- Kyle wrote that the Paul George trade makes the Thunder contenders again.
- FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver also takes a look at the latest NBA developments, noting that next season’s NBA heavyweights may include the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Rockets … and Timberwolves?
- Significant Digit: 73.5, the world record as of last year for the number of hot dogs consumed within the Major League Eating circuit. Joey Chestnut claimed the record in 2016 during a qualifying event for the annual Fourth of July competition at Nathan’s Famous on Coney Island.