FiveThirtyEight is hiring a copy editor. We’re looking for someone to edit articles for clarity, style and accuracy, someone who cares that both data and grammar are correct, who appreciates a conversational style, and who is as comfortable editing a chart of NBA player rankings as a story on the politics of Iowa.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in New York City.
- The individual in this position must be fluent in the FiveThirtyEight voice. Candidates must be able to demonstrate that they can edit quickly and have sound news judgment.
- The candidate must be familiar with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- The candidate must have a minimum of three years of editing experience at a news website or publication and should be familiar with Associated Press style.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated knowledge of the topic areas of FiveThirtyEight’s major verticals: politics, sports, science and health, economics, and culture.
- The candidate must be comfortable working with and checking the accuracy of numbers.
- Five years of editing experience at a major website or publication.
- A proven ability to write web-savvy headlines.
- Familiarity with web publishing platforms, including WordPress.
To apply, please go to the ESPN Careers site.