Welcome to this week’s episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (June 23, 2015), we discuss the knockout stages of the women’s World Cup, preview the NBA draft and discuss Alex Rodriguez’s monster season. What do the stats say about his place in history, and how big is the asterisk? Plus, our Significant Digit of the week: Ronda Rousey’s speedy victories.
Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above.
Below are some links to what we discuss on this week’s show:
- Allison McCann on the winners and losers of the WWC group stage.
- This World Cup may be proving that there’s more parity in women’s soccer than we thought.
- Kate Fagan’s dispatch from Edmonton, Alberta, after the U.S. women defeated Colombia.
- FiveThirtyEight ranks the top 50 players in the NBA draft.
- Nylon Calculus wonders if there’s a simpler way to evaluate rising basketball talent.
- FanGraphs evaluates A-Rod’s career and what to make of his recent resurgence.
- Significant Digit: The 1:42 differential between Ronda Rousey’s fastest win and her next opponent’s.
Video Excerpt: How Big Is A-Rod’s Asterisk?
If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.