Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (Jan. 4, 2016), we discuss the NFL playoffs and whether this year’s NFL coaching hot seat is any hotter than usual. Then, Carl Bialik and Jody Avirgan look at how the sport of Ultimate Frisbee is trying to embrace stats. Plus an investigation into whether millennials are ruining — ruining! — the NBA.
Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above. Links to what we discussed are here:
- FiveThirtyEight’s NFL Elo predictions still favor the Panthers to win the Super Bowl.
- Bill Barnwell on how each NFL playoff team is vulnerable.
- Neil Paine on why Chip Kelly lasted only three seasons in Philadelphia.
- Carl Bialik on ultimate stats and Jody Avirgan on how coaches would use analytics.
- Suns owner Robert Sarver blames “millennial culture” for his team’s woeful performance. Below, Neil Paine leads us in an investigation into the millennial scourge.
If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.