Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast. On this week’s show (Jan. 31, 2017), we do a super-sized segment on Super Bowl LI. Will the Matt Ryan-led Falcons offense dominate, or will Tom Brady and the Patriots prevail? Next, tennis expert Carl Bialik drops by as we break down an Australian Open final that was a blast from the past. Plus, a significant digit on an unprecedented sanction in Major League Baseball.
Links to what we discussed:
- ESPN launched its ultimate Super Bowl preview.
- Neil Paine wrote on the prowess of Julio Jones.
- ESPN’s Kevin Seifert looks at how Matt Ryan and Tom Brady match up.
- Tennis is growing older, writes Carl Bialik.
- In case you missed them, recaps of the Australian Open’s final games: Federer vs. Nadal and Williams vs. Williams.
- Does the Australian Open’s logo too closely resemble the logo for Netflix’s show “The OA”?
- Significant Digits: A triple digit this week: $2 million, No. 56, and No. 75. That’s what the St. Louis Cardinals lost this week, as Major League Baseball handed down a penalty that forced the team to pay the Houston Astros the fine and give them 2017 draft picks for hacking into the Astros’ scouting database.