FiveThirtyEight is hiring a social media editor who will be responsible for the site’s social promotion, in addition to helping other editors write headlines and produce the website. We’re looking for someone who appreciates our data-driven approach to covering the news and who has expertise in using social platforms to promote journalism and build audience engagement with that work. The role will also include developing platform-specific multimedia content.
Specifically, the social media editor will be responsible for:
- Daily posting of FiveThirtyEight content on all applicable platforms, particularly Twitter and Facebook.
- Developing strategies to grow the site’s social following and increase engagement on social platforms.
- Monitoring results of our social campaigns to continually improve efforts based on analytics.
- Partnering with editors of our sections on best practices for social media and on developing social plans for major projects.
- Developing and executing ideas for social video and live content.
- Coordinating with social editors at partner organizations to promote FiveThirtyEight coverage.
Qualifications for the job include:
- A minimum of three years’ experience in daily management of social media for an editorial organization.
- Flexibility to cover live events and breaking news.
- Experience with social-friendly headlines, Web production and SEO best practices.
- Expertise in Web analytics platforms including Facebook and Twitter analytics, Adobe and CrowdTangle.
- A passion for quantitative journalism, statistics and data.
ESPN and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity of all kinds — Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
Interested candidates should apply through the ESPN jobs site.