FiveThirtyEight is looking for an experienced reporter to join our team. We’re still open as to what that writer will cover, but we’re interested in expanding in three areas in particular.
- Science/health — We’ve published great work on health and science already, and we want more of it. If you’re a reporter who’s curious but skeptical anytime a new study says X causes Y, or you’re a writer who’s interested in how scientists are using (and sometimes abusing) data to further our understanding of the world, we want to hear from you. Importantly, we’re not looking for a specialist; we’re looking for a journalist who has a broad range of interests in science and/or health, and someone who can write quickly and cogently on a variety of topics within the beat.
- Technology — Love writing about gadgets? This isn’t the job for you. We’re interested in technology’s data trail and how tech companies rely on data to build their businesses. Some of the time this reporter will use data to investigate whether Uber really has led to more congestion in New York City, other times she’ll be writing about how Big Data has changed how we live.
- Culture — We’ve published a statistical analysis of the paintings of Bob Ross; offered a guided, data-based tour of the Museum of Modern Art; and calculated what “Hamilton” would be like if it were sung at the pace of other musicals. We’re interested in expanding our culture coverage to complement pieces like those and expand into new areas. Have a data-oriented way of looking at culture? Drop us a line.
If you’re interested in covering any one of those beats for FiveThirtyEight, find out how to apply at the bottom of this post. Some more details about what we’re looking for:
- Five years of experience as a reporter for a website, newspaper or magazine, at least half of which has been in one of the fields listed above.
- Familiarity with quantitative journalism, statistics and data.
- Ten years’ experience as a reporter in print or digital journalism, including five years at a recognized national or regional publication or website. At least three years’ experience in one of the three fields listed above.
- Demonstrated expertise in using the tools of quantitative journalism to analyze data and to build news and feature stories.
- An ability, demonstrated by clips, to write breaking stories off the news as well as in-depth projects.
Interested candidates should send a résumé and a cover letter with a full story pitch to chadwick.matlin [at] fivethirtyeight.com. In the subject line, please put: “FiveThirtyEight reporter job.” Be sure to make clear why the story you’re pitching is right for FiveThirtyEight — how is it either about data or how does it use data? I’ll be in touch within two weeks if we’re interested in speaking with you.